Friday, February 3, 2012

Things I Forgot About Turkey


We were only gone three weeks but there are things I forgot about Turkey.
I forgot that it is possible to stuff 5 people, 4 large suitcases, 1 small suitcase, 3 backpacks, 1 laptop bag and a violin into a Fiat taxi.
I forgot that Turkey has a smell. In smaller cities, like Kesan and Gelibolu there is haze of coal smoke this time of year. It doesn't have the warm campfire smell of burning wood. It is thick and acrid.
I forgot about the random routine of electricity where we live. Everyday the power goes out. We never know when it might go or for how long but it goes out every day.
I forgot that you just never know what will pass by your window. Yesterday, Cam and I stood at the kitchen window and watched a man in hip waders and a long sleeved t-shirt with the word "staff" on the back walk down the lane behind the house. He was carrying a rifle. Today we saw a huge white goose swim past as we ate brunch.
I forgot how much I like it here, even when the house is freezing cold, the dishwasher isn't working and the shower only runs cold water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!